DONOR: UNICEF BiH, Svedish international development cooperation agency
DURATION: 1.7. 2013. – 30.6.2014.
1. Derventa, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. Kotor Varoš, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3. Laktaši, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina 4. Novi Travnik, Middle Bosnia canton, Federation of BiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5. Sanski Most, Una-Sana canton
Federation of BiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina
6. Velika Kladuša, Una-Sana canton, Federation of BiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The project aims at strengthening prevention of SALW risk reduction at community level through schools’ based activities. It foresees two main line of intervention:
• Strengthening child participation in supporting violence prevention and SALW risk reduction and,
• Increasing institutional capacities in management and monitoring of violence prevention and SALW risk reduction programmes.
It is directly targeting sixteen primary schools within these municipalities:
1. PS ,,19. april,, Derventa
2. PS ,,Nikola Tesla,, Derventa
3. PS ,,Sveti Sava,, Kotor Varoš
4. PS ,,Petar Petrović Njegoš,, Kotor Varoš
5. PS ,,Desanka Maksimović,, Laktaši
6. PS ,,Holandija,, Laktaši
7. PS ,,Novi Travnik,, Novi Travnik
8. PS ,,Safvet beg Bašagić,, Novi Travnik
9. PS ,,Prva sanska osnovna škola,, Sanski Most
10. PS ,,5. oktobar,, Sanski Most
11. PS ,,Hasan Kikić,, Sanski Most
12. PS ,,Fajtovci,, Sanski Most
13. PS ,,Prva osnovna škola,, Velika Kladuša
14. PS ,,25. novembar,, Velika Kladuša
15. PS ,,Podzvizd,, Velika Kladuša
16. PS ,,1. mart,, Velika Kladuša
Proposed project is composed from following activities:
A. Activities at the Community Level:
Development Capacity , Raising Awareness and Mobilizing Communities on SALW risk reduction in selected locations:
A1. Preparation phase: meetings with the representatives of municipality authorities and mapping existing capacity to address issues related to violence and SALW;
A2. Logistic and organizational meetings with the representatives of municipality authorities;
A3. Mobilization of adolescents to participate in the research using PAR methodology;
A4. Creation of baseline information for action plans development;
A5. Assessment of municipality specific issues with regards to violence and SALW risk and analysis of the results undertaken;
A6. Prioritization of identified issues;
A7. Development of Action Plans in support to violence prevention and SALW risk reduction;
A8. One Minute Junior Movies trainings: Members of the Research groups trained (training will last 5 days) how to prepare, film and edit one-minute junior movies. Through the use of video media resources, selected members of the Research groups (10 adolescents per municipality) will advocate violence prevention and SALW risk reduction;
A9. Mobilization of already exiting capacities within municipalities able to address risks related to violence and SALW;
A10. Communication skills training for selected research groups members;
A11. Roundtables in municipalities to present Research Action Plans and One-minute junior movies to the representatives of local communities (members of the PAR Support Group, local authorities, relevant adults, local media, etc.);
A12. Implementation of action plans in support to violence prevention and SALW risk reduction with the support of already exiting capacities within municipalities capable to address risks related to violence and SALW;
B. Activities at the School Level:
Establish, develop capacity and maintain School Safety Networks:v B1. Initial introductory meetings with the representatives of 16 selected primary schools.
B2. Preparation phase meetings with the representatives of 16 selected primary schools.
B3. Implement survey in 16 selected schools (develop survey instruments, analyze and syntheses survey results, make recommendations of preventive measures that will decrease level and occurrence of the violence and publication of the report).
B4. Establish and maintain School Coordination Board on Violence Prevention and SALW risk reduction and management and monitoring meetings.
B5. Basic training for education of teachers and parents on Violence Prevention and SALW risk reduction.
B6. Peer mediation trainings for selected pupils and teachers.
B7. Training of trainers on Violence Prevention and SALW risk reduction.
B8. Peer support workshops.
B9. Defining and modeling roles and responsibilities in support to violence prevention and SALW risk reduction of key actors at the school level.
B10. Establish system of Confidence box (children can address violence issues in confidence and receive adequate response).
B11. Establish and maintain school data-base on cases of violence and related responses.
C. Activities at the Ministries of Education Level:
Strengthening coordination systems and development capacities on SALW risk reduction with a focus on education system in certain parts of the Country:
C1. Initial introductory meetings with the potential expert group members.
C2. Preparation phase meetings with the representatives of MoE, Ombudsman for children RS and other stakeholders.
C3. Establish expert group (one expert group per each respective MoE targeted through the project).
C4. Analysis of the current situation in the schools and definition of the deficiencies in management and monitoring of existing violence prevention schools’ curricula.
C5. Development of sustainable capacities and management and monitoring mechanism that would enable more efficient violence prevention programmes within schools’ curricula.
C6. Coordination and cooperation with MoE aimed at increasing ownership of the respective ministries over elements of School Safety Network approach.
C7. Coordination and cooperation between Genesis Project and respective ministries to work out mechanisms to institutionalize the developed capacity within targeted primary schools.
C8. Analysis of the achieved results and recommendations for the future practice.
It is expected to reach directly over 10,000 children, adolescents, school professionals, parents and the representatives of municipality’s institutions.
The Expected Result(s) of the Project :
• Increased human and institutional capacity within selected communities to design, develop and implement programmes and activities focused on prevention of violence against children and SALW risk reduction activities.
• Increased capacities of schools to respond to violence against and amongst children through definition of roles and responsibilities at the school level, defining cooperation with the community, increased technical knowledge and skills of school personnel and children.
• Sustainable mechanism for management and monitoring of violence against and amongst children established at the school level (School Safety Network).
• Increased capacities of Ministries of Education to plan, manage and implement programmes and activities focused on prevention of violence against children and SALW risk reduction programmes within schools’ curricula.