DONOR: Stiftung Schüler Helfen Leben Germany, UNICEF BiH
LOCATION: Municipalities: Kiseljak, Busovača, Vitez, Fojnica, Jajce, Bugojno and Gromiljak. Continuation of the project “Safe environment for children in divided and segregated schools in Middle Bosnia canton”.
During year 2013, in two divided schools targeted through current project, schoolteachers have kindly requested that we expand our activities and target parents groups. In schools in Jajce and Fojnica, Genesis Project has provided assistance to the schoolteachers during the organization and facilitation of the teachers/parents meetings where we conducted education of the present parents about project selected topics.
We think that connections between schools and families must be strengthened and that parents should be included in the serial of the workshops/meetings/discussion that would have one final goal “Rebuilding trust and confidence among divided ethnic groups”.
We also think that schoolteachers should be empowered to successfully establish constructive communication with parents of their pupils. During our work with schoolteachers we observed a lack of necessary skills that would enable them to be successful in this field of their work.
General approach of Genesis Project within this project is to work simultaneously on several levels: authorized representatives of Middle Bosnia canton Ministry of Education, school workers, pupils and parents.
This will be done through implementation of following joint activities during Year 2014:
• Activity 1. “Workshops with schoolteachers”: In total we will conduct 30 joint workshops for schoolteachers during year 2014.
• Activity 2. “Workshops with children”: In total we will conduct 30 joint workshops for children during year 2014.
• Activity 3. “Workshops/meetings with parents”: In total we will conduct 20 joint workshops for parents during year 2014.
• Activity 4. “One-minute junior movies (OMJM) trainings” for children / younger adolescents”: for children / younger adolescents” (pupils of VII, VIII and IX grade: 12-14 years) – in total 4 joint trainings will be conducted during Year 2014. App. 30-40 one-minute movies will be produced. Movies will advocate rebuilding of trust and confidence, peace building, peaceful conflict prevention, etc. On the end of each OMJM training, we will organize public presentations of filmed movies in order to show to the “relevant adults” what their children fell about rebuilding of trust and confidence, peace building, peaceful conflict prevention, etc.
• Activity 5. “Educational, interactive puppet shows” for younger children (pupils aged from 6 to 11 year) – in total 20 joint puppet shows will be conducted during Year 2014. Puppet shows will be conducted in primary schools located throughout Middle Bosnia canton, focusing on divided communities and municipalities.
Total number of joint activities will be implemented during year 2014: 104 joint activities
Project activities will focus on following topics:
• education and upbringing for the future;
• philosophy of parenting;
• peaceful conflict resolution and prevention,
• promotion of diversity and intercultural understanding,
• child rights and social inclusion, and communication
Intended target groups during Year 2014 are:
Activity 1. “Workshops with schoolteachers” (30 workshops):
o 96 schoolteachers, principals and pedagogues targeted through 30 workshops
Activity 2. “Workshops with children” (30 workshops):
o 176 children educated directly through their participation in joint workshops
o 368 children educated indirectly through educational activities in the classes
Activity 3. “Workshops/meetings with parents” (20 workshops):
o 400 parents targeted through 20 workshops/meetings with parents
Activity 4. “One-minute junior movies (OMJM) trainings” for children / younger adolescents”:
o 40 children educated in “One-minute junior movies” production methodologies
o up to 40 OMJM movies produced and broadcasted in targeted divided communities
Activity 5. “Educational, interactive puppet shows” (20 puppet shows):
o 1600 children educated through educational, interactive puppet shows for children
Total number of direct beneficiaries that will be targeted during year 2014: app. 2680 pupils, schoolteachers, parents and relevant members of local communities will be directly included in implemented joint activities.
Expected results are:
Cooperation and communication among ethnic groups is advanced.
Messages of the peace, tolerance and coexistence are transferred on all target groups.
Developed internationalism, respect and consideration of all people regardless of their skin colour, religion or nation.
Advanced interaction between all target groups.
Dialogue about reconciliation process is successfully opened through all implemented project activities.
Youth is sensitized to promote diversity and intercultural dialogue.