DONOR: UNICEF BiH
DURATION: September 2009 – November 2010
LOCATION: Kiseljak, Busovača, Vitez, Fojnica and Jajce
OVERALL GOAL: The overall goal of the project was to create safe school environments in 12 segregated schools by implementing social inclusion models. The objective was to educate beneficiaries directly about peaceful conflict resolution and communication skills. Objective was to motivate beneficiaries to organize joint actions.
Specific objectives of the project were:
o to develop communication and cooperation among schoolteachers, parents and pupils – members of different ethnic groups,
o to improve skills of communication and peaceful conflict resolution,
o to initiate change of attitudes and behaviour among our project beneficiaries,
o to eliminate prejudices about members of other ethnic groups,
o to improve multiethnic cooperation with targeted local communities,
o to conduct advocacy activity with representatives of Ministry of education Middle Bosnia Canton (MoE MBC) during which we will endeavour to undertake joint activities that decrease conflict among youth and increase the level of knowledge of peaceful conflict resolution.
Expected results were:
-Improved multiethnic cooperation.
-Communication between (segregated) ethnic groups is opened, as a main precondition for future exchange and cooperation.
-Implemented joint activities between both (segregated) ethnic groups.
– Project direct beneficiaries have adopted new knowledge and skills to peacefully resolve conflicts and to prevent conflict.
– Project direct beneficiaries have adopted new knowledge that will help them to improve a culture of dialogue and communication skills.
– School has become a more secure place for children and schoolteachers.
– Schools have become places with a higher level of appreciation of differences.
– MoE MBC accepted to integrate peaceful conflict resolution activities in educational process.
After 15 months of project implementation, we succeeded in achieving the objectives. This statement is supported by the following data:
• we implemented 41 trainings/seminars for schoolteachers, school experts staff and parents. In total 1119 adults participated in 41 trainings/seminars.
• we implemented 216 workshops with Core Groups and educational activities in the classes during which 3208 children were educated about project selected topics.
• we conducted 45 puppet shows for 3792 pupils and schoolteachers.
• we implemented various joint activities in all 12 segregated schools and over 3500 persons participated in these joint activities. These joint activities continue to be organized by pupils and schoolteachers after official completion of the project.
• Cooperation and communication among ethnic groups is on-going.
• Educate schoolteachers and parents to permanently improve cooperation and communication and apply techniques for peaceful conflict resolution.
• Peaceful conflict resolution and communication classes held in schools by trained peer-helpers who will transfer their knowledge of peaceful conflict resolution to their peers / class mates.
• Peaceful conflict resolution messages transferred by peer-helpers and trained schoolteachers to their friends, relatives and community members.
Middle Bosnia Canton Ministry of Education is aware of the need to introduce educational contents which will help the pupils and schoolteachers to master communication skills, to peacefully resolve conflicts and to decrease the level of violence in schools.
Project was implemented in full accordance with expected project results.