DONOR: Delegation of the European Union to Bosnia and Herzegovina
DURATION: 1. January 2013 – 30. Juni 2014.
LOCATION: Tešanj, Bihać, Bosansko Grahovo, Trnovo, Pelagićevo, etc.
OVERALL GOAL: To empower targeted children and teachers to organize and facilitate Mine Risk Education activities that will result in permanent education of new generations on danger and ways of protection from mines and UXO’s.
• raise awareness of children and adults on constant and long term danger from mines and unexploded ordnances;
• increase knowledge and skills of school children and schoolteachers on how to apply interactive and sustainable MR education and awareness activities in schools and communities; • put in place cooperation between schoolteachers and peer-educators and local community representatives.
Specific expected results are as follows:
1. Increased knowledge of schoolteachers on interactive, self-initiated and sustainable mine risk education.
2. Increased knowledge amongst peer-educators on mine risk education, awareness and peer-education skills and methodologies.
3. Increased capacities of primary schools to integrate and implement sustainable mine risk education.
4. Establishment of positive and long-term collaboration between selected primary schools and local community.
It is the goal of Genesis Project to work simultaneously on two levels: pupils and schoolteachers. Through planned activities, we aim to “remove” firm border line between schoolteachers and pupils and to show that pupils can be teachers as well. Through schools, schoolteachers and pupils we aim to target the entire community.
We aim to empower pupils / children and their schoolteachers to organize and facilitate different educational activities with the goal of permanent education of new generations about project selected educational topics. It is the goal of Genesis Project to equip children with “peer-education” skills that will allow them to facilitate transfer of knowledge to their peers and to move Genesis Project from its role of “external” educator towards a role of initiator, mediator and creator of activities that will be further implemented by members of local communities.
The overall expected impact of the project:
a) The risk of injuries from landmines amongst children in targeted communities is reduced
b) Child safety in regard to risk of landmines is improved at school/community level
This action will improve school capacities in addressing risk posed by landmines. Genesis Project aims to improve instruments of child protection system and to address gaps in school curricula in regard to Mine Risk Education.